Here’s a small selection of archive photos taken in and around Brixton fifteen years ago, in April 2002. Above can be seen a subverted BBC advert in Herne Hill.
Coldharbour Lane. Formerly a hairdressers, this building saw little use for years. Recently it has opened up as a vape shop.
The ‘Our Sons Menswear’ sign on Electric Lane still survives to this day, although it is fading fast.
Find our more here: Ghost signs of Brixton: Our Sons Menswear, Electric Avenue.
Atlantic Road in the rain.
Hand-written ‘Off License’ sign outside 74 Railton Road.
The Off Licence is long gone, as is the shop which has been converted to a flat.
St. George’s Residences on Railton Road is an early example of a purpose-built block of flats. Built in 1878, the central tower houses a large water tank.
Boarded up property on the corner of Railton Road and Shakespeare Road. The premises were later taken over by the Brixton Advice Centre.
St Jude’s Parochial Rooms. This delightful hall on Railton Road was built in 1887 and adjoins St. Jude’s School which once boasted a ‘Mr Brixton’ as its school keeper!
The early Victorian Hope Cottage at 227 Railton Road.
Souped up Fiat Uno in Brockwell Park.
Brockwell Park greenhouses.
Heroin use was rife in Brixton in the early 2000s. Residents of the Barrier Block on Coldharbour Lane regularly had to tread carefully over discarded needles outside the block. Despite the council fitting a ‘Sharps Box’ nearby, users would often throw their syringes around the adjacent path and green space.
Throughout the summer of 2002, the entrance to the Southwyck House car park became a favoured spot for users to gather and inject.
Does anyone know where this bar is? Is it the old Queens on Ferndale Road?
A damp afternoon in Loughborough Junction.