Because of our penchant for capturing late night scenes around Brixton, we were once dismissed by a bitter local councillor as ‘maudlin night owls’ – a description we rather liked.
With Blue Nile, Neu! and Bill Evans on the headphones, we traversed the wet, empty streets last night and took in a few bars on the way. Here’s what we saw:
Windrush Square. The Ritzy was closed because of industrial action.
Brixton awaits another gated luxury development, with the latest oversized, social housing-free blocks being wedged in the strip between Valencia Place and Gresham Road,
Railway bridges, Gresham Road.
Fire station, Gresham Road.
Built on the site of St Catherine’s Church in 1908, this impressively proportioned building on the corner of Gresham Road and Station Road replaced the earlier fire station in Ferndale Road.
Approaching Max Roach Park. Maxwell Lemuel “Max” Roach was an American jazz percussionist, drummer, and composer. A pioneer of bebop, Roach went on to work in many other styles of music, and is generally considered alongside the most important drummers in history.
The peeling modernist lines of 336 Brixton Road which once served as a computer centre for upmarket bank Coutts & Co.
The ‘sports themed’ Frat House on Brixton Road has been closed down.
The Crown & Anchor on Brixton Road now spills out into the adjacent side street.
St Mark’s Church in Kennington is on the site of the old Roman Road Stane Street, which ran all the way from the Roman London Bridge to Chichester, via the gap in the North Downs at Box Hill. Kennington Park Road still follows the route of the old Stane Street.
In 1824 St Mark’s was built on the old gallows corner of Kennington Common, one of four ‘Waterloo’ churches built in south London following the defeat of Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo. Each was named after one of the four gospel writers: St Mark’s, Kennington; St John’s, Waterloo; St Luke’s, Norwood and St Matthew’s, Brixton.
The church was substantially rebuilt in 1960 after suffering extensive war time bombing damage. [—]
Brown Derby bar is an interesting, retro themed on Clapham Road. Sadly it was rather quiet when we popped in, but the beer was good.
Walking back through the church yard,
Disintegrating signage on Brixton Road,.
The name builds up visions of an intriguing store, but it’s all disappointment within.
The new Brixton Cycles store.
There’s West End style security in place at Phonox (formerly Plan B and, before that, a Wimpy Bar).
Brixton’s ‘dead zone’ courtesy of Network Rail’s disastrous redevelopment scheme.
A rare sighting of the pop up loo on Electric Avenue.
Dodgy hot dog seller takes up position next to Will Self’s installation on Electric Avenue.
Jam packed Club 414 on Coldharbour Lane, a hugely popular Brixton institution that is fighting hard to survive as developers want to turn it into luxury flats.
Deserted Electric Avenue.
The fabulously named New Wave Minicabs on Coldharbour Lane.
Busy Dogstar scene.
A last view looking over Coldharbour Lane and Gresham Road and Barrington Road.