Although central Brixton is where most of the action is, there’s still plenty going on if you head east along Coldharbour Lane into Camberwell. Here’s some photos from our wanders last night.
Out first stop was at the Junction jazz bar by Loughborough Junction, where the excellent Mark Ball Trio were playing live.
Billed as a ‘combination bar, restaurant, deli, café and art gallery,’ the new Art Deli is located close to King’s College Hospital on Coldharbour Lane.
Playing live was local musicians, Ese and the Vooduu People.
It was a pleasure to see some of the guys from local band The Severed Limb in the house.
A Dulwich Hamlet sticker always adds a bit of panache to a toilet.
Walking back through Camberwell at 1am.
Sad to see so many closed shops in the main drag on Denmark Hill.
The Peacocks department store closed some time ago.
The site once housed the grand Camberwell Empire Theatre (below).
Built in 1894 and rebuilt in 1939, the music hall venue was converted to the Odeon (seen below in 1954) before closing in July 1975.
The premises were then briefly used by ‘Dickie Dirts’ as a discount jeans emporium before demolition in 1993. Read more here.
The no-frills Rock Steady Eddie’s cafe at 2A Coldharbour Lane. Read a review here.
The Grade II listed Denmark Place Baptist Church.
Historic England describes the architecture:
1823, dated on keystone of central arch. Two-storey classical stock brick building of 5 bays with pedimented gable end facing road. Three deep round-arched recesses hold first floor windows, central ground floor window and flanking doors. These are framed in a stucco panel with impost blocks and keystones rising to support a stuccoed frieze below eaves cornice. In tympanum of pediment a blank round keyed recess with relief of Tudor rose. Modern small-paned windows have stuccoed heads with keystones. Four-panel doors in stucco frames with console bracketed cornices and pediments. Outer bays have doors with long flank panels above. Six steps to stylobate. Short screen walls with gates at sides. Six-bay sides with long round-arched windows above segment-arched below.
‘Open All Hours’ they say. Pfft.
I’ve no idea why this housing development has the word ‘music’ etched on to its railings.
There’s a depressing amount of closed pubs along this stretch, as documented in this article:
The lost pubs of Coldharbour Lane, Brixton and Loughborough Junction.
This used to be the Green Man pub.
Housing blocks at Loughborough Junction.
Loughborough Junction view.
‘New Morlys.’ See: A Thread Of Fake Morleys.
This upmarket pizza parlour was previously known as The Angel pub, and had strong connections to Edwardian music hall performers.
Our final stop was the Prince of Wales for some live jazz.
John from the Prince of Wales. A lovely chap.